Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Stubborn Girl, Puddles for Shoes

So today it poured, hard. I woke up for my 7 AM Kennedy clients at about 5:30, knowing I needed to figure out transportation. I looked up the bus schedule last night and knew the bus left City Hall at 6:25 AM, perfect to get me to the club by 7. I remember seeing the bus pass me many days riding out.

So I look outside (in the dark) at 6:15 and think, I'm a trainer for goodness sakes! So I put on my waterproof shell (thanks mom and Larry) and head outside. It didn't seem to be raining that hard when I left, so I packed my backpack full of lunch and a few things and headed out. 2 minutes on the bike, I knew I'd made a dreadful mistake. I was drenched, luckily just on the outside.

So I rode along in the dark, with my headlight, helmet, and flasher on my back. I made it there in record time (talk about motivation) but arrived drenched. Everyone who saw me reacted, in one way or another. I headed to the locker room where I stripped down and rung out my socks... quite literally. Then I tried to blow dry my socks and shoes--not working AT ALL. So on went the soaking wet socks and shoes, only to squish around and prune my feet for the next 5 hours.

After many clients and no break, I finally went downstairs and bought a new pair of socks and blow dried my shoes, the best I could. Then I ate chocolate cake. Yes, I did. My rule today is, if you endure something awful, enjoy the indulgences you don't normally allow. So I had cake, a tuna melt (with cheese!) and sour dough bread with a side of corn chips. All crap I never have, but damn it, I deserved it.

Riding there wasn't as bad as riding home because that early, no one can see you. At 3 PM, everyone stares. Great.

Take the bus next time Jenna, seriously.

4 comments:

pedro said...

awesome decision... all the way around, but esp on the food!

momma yogi said...

they do sell water proof bike shoe covers... get some!
xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Well, if you get a dog for a rainy day, get a poodle and avoid the puddle.

Of course you got wet only on the outside. What did you expect? It would take an enema to get you wet on the inside.

Jenna said...

I shall consider myself lucky I didn't get wet on the inside.

I'll look into the bike shoe covers--although the bus may be a better solution.

Yes, the indulgence did make me feel better :O)