Friday, May 25, 2007

In a Split Second

Quite an interesting day for me today. Relationships can begin as fast as they can end.

The beginning of a new friendship--in Amanda, Joe's most recent ex. I was suprised how much we had to talk about and how we could instantly just jump in and become friends. There's something to be said about supporting a fellow girl whose shoes look very much like my own at one point in time. She's marathon training, and I bet we'll have a lot to talk about running together.

On the flip side...

It seems my relationship with my father is on the rocks to say the least. Appparently Christa and I are immature for not sending generic hallmark cards for mother's day and birthdays. We've emailed back and forth now for a few days, and the further it all goes, the more I just want to dissociate. It's not like it's every year we don't send anything. We've been pretty good about it since we've grown up, but this year is unique in the chaos we both have in our lives.

Chaos and transition. There are so many scars, so much pain, so many failed expectations between the three of us. Maybe it's just too hard. Maybe there will always be too much judgement about why he left and how we've not become who he's wanted us to be. But, I have no complaints about who I am and what I've accomplished thus far in life.

It's just interesting how quickly life moves. Relationships are ended as fast as they're begun.

I do wish to someday reconcile with my father, but it's almost too easy to just let it go and appreciate Larry that much more. I am so thankful to have Larry in my life, it makes this situation less heavy because I know Larry is unconditional. He supports me no matter what and lives his life every day with love, trust, and integrity. Lucky him; lucky me.

No comments: