Sunday, April 13, 2008

Beautiful Spring in SLO

What a beautiful weekend!

The last few weeks at the City job have been intense, but after successfully hosting 4 blood draw mornings, testing 42 fire fighters and pinching and weighing 50 people for the Biggest Winner contest, I was very happy at 5:00 PM Friday. A few sunny days to breathe!

On Friday I pinched and weighed in for the contest, along with my fabulous Cal Poly Intern, Nickole. I went over to Kennedy Club to do the calculations, where I also had my body fat records for the last 3 years, every few months. I remember what kind of shape I was in by the test. For instance, after being strict vegan for one month, my % was 17.8, before that it was about 20%. Before my marathon, also having eaten mostly vegan, I got down to 16%, which is pretty low... anything under 18% is considered underweight, but I know, I am by no means under weight. We used different calipers this time, but the results were astounding. Everyone's % came out way high, including my 28%! Now, knowing I'm only 5 lbs above my marathon weight, it can't be entirely accurate, but motivation enough to clean up my act.

I'll be hosting meetings for contestants, but for me, here's my plan... mostly vegan again, maybe some fish. No meat, no dairy, no white or processed flours, no sugars... now I say NO, but that really means very infrequently. Running about 3-6 days per week, bike riding at least to yoga 3 days per week, lifting 2 times per week and maybe an occasional swim, and of course the 5 yoga classes I teach per week. I already bumped up the exercise and cleaned up the plate... starting with Raw Foods Night at pH Blue in Atascadero. A few of my friends/yoga students/hooping teachers live in this amazingly hippy house in A town, and their Raw nights are filled with love and openness, and of course good raw food! I drove up with Peter(our Esalen teacher), Tawny and Athena... who are just preparing for their Europe adventure for Peter's yoga teaching. Both he and Tawny are amazing instructors and human beings... Athena, born 2 days before and many years after me, is a beautiful goddess angel at 6 months old, with her momma's beautiful red hair :O)

Saturday I hiked around Madonna Mountain, took some good yoga, caught up with friends, then went to see Sam play at Level 4 in Paso with Betsy. The acoustics were a little funky, but they rocked the show as always. Sam just smiled at me while he watched several men approach me and me playing social judo to kindly explain I was committed.



Today is Sunday, I taught this morning, then cleaned, did the wash and headed to Sam's where we played soccer in the elementary school by his house. He claims to have not played since junior high, but he was pulling off some crazy moves! He's an ultra athlete... can hit huge bombs in baseball/softball, golfs exceptionally well, swims like crazy, runs, lifts light weight, plays basketball, football, I'm sure the list goes on... we had a blast... and it was so hot outside! Sam would throw Tay a few balls and Tay would then retire to the shade and smile at us.

On Friday I took a chai break with my department head who had amazing and very optimistic things to say about me and my employment opportunities at the City. It's looking good... I will continue to work my behind off indefinitely but I am again hopeful, and having Nickole working on my project with me is amazing.

All and all, life is good. I have a beautiful home, a beautiful man, a beautiful dog, a beautiful family (I don't see enough!) and a beautiful Spring :O)

No comments: