Monday, May 26, 2008

Sea of Change

Memorial Day Weekend 08. Five years ago, my friends Sandy and Dave started their relationship at lake Nacimiento while we partied on Dave's boat with thousands of other people around. They're getting married this year in September.

My health has improved ten fold, and I'm back to my loved activities--swimming, biking, yoga, lifting weights, etc. My lung capacity isn't what it was, and I'm still coughing up remnants, but I feel 90% better. Sometimes it takes getting knocked on your butt to appreciate what you have in your life.

On another note, I'm applying for graduate schools. I've realized that if I want to live a decent lifestyle and eventually buy a house, I have to step up my game, and in this town that means my education. Bachelor's degrees are like a dime a dozen in this town. Everyone has one, and I'd say 3% make enough to live comfortably and even invest. Most of the other people here are older folks who've made their money elsewhere, or kids who inherit significant amounts of cash or real estate and stick around.

I'm applying for the intense 10 month MBA program at Cal Poly, starting this Fall. I love what I do now, but I can't struggle anymore; I can't worry about making rent every month, or the missing income if I need a sick day or a vacation. I'm in a position where I consult on the health and well being of up to 350 city employees, a handful of PT clients and 180 yoga students per month, meanwhile, I have to think twice about making ends meet constantly.

I did change my mindset a while ago... and I am abundant, and another degree with solidify that goal.

1 comment:

Zander Hathaway said...

Glad to hear you are better. Now that I have a new running/workout buddy, I hope to be doing more run/bike/swim/weights as well. :)
I hope you had a smashing time at the wedding in Napa!