Sunday, August 07, 2005

Avalon

I checked the time. 7:15ish. By my calculations I should have at least an hour of daylight left. According to the Navy, civil twilight was up at 8:28... perfect! Just as I was grabbing my running shoes and Taylor was starting to bounce with excitement, the housemate walked in with a dislocated finger. Crap!

A little sympathy and about ten minutes later, I was out the door. I took off at a good pace. The white flour/sugar day had prepared my body for some speed! Tay was stoked to crank it up a bit. Down the trail we went... sand patches... tree house... tunnel of trees... and water in sight!

The fog rolled in a few hours ago and the tide left about 10 feet of shoreline to run on. We ran to the end of the beach. There was more wildlife than I'd seen in quite some time. I couldn't help but to see a great white egret staring at Tay and I. He was so graceful and rhythmic in his movements. I was glad not to pose a threat... we were after all visiting his home.

I remembered back to a few summers ago, reading The Mists of Avalon. I was in Avalon tonight. The fog was thick, so much so that the horizon line became a blur. Pure white from ocean to sky. The fish were jumping, birds swooping by. I found peace. My runner's high was fantastic. I could feel the circulation, the oxygen uptake, and it felt damn good.

I've been working on my speed lately and decided to do some sprints. After a grueling 20 minutes of sprinting forwards and backwards, jumping, balancing... I started to feel my body's response to the sugar. I remember pro triathlete Victor Plata telling me one day that he avoided sugar like the plague. It all makes sense, but it did give me a little extra sprinting juice.

So I ran back at a good pace, sprinting up the hills. Home at 8:26. Two whole minutes to spare before it was the end of civil twilight--whatever that means. The perfect night, spent alone. There are options--yes, but all are either frustrating or unenticing. Tay is my peace of mind... the most loyal man I will ever meet.

I feel so connected to the moon cycle this month. Thursday was an extreme day. So much adrenaline, I knew something was up. I didn't think much of it, but made a mental note. Today I glanced at the calendar. Sure enough it was the new moon on Thursday. I am starting to get these energy patterns down to a science... at least for my body.

What a night.

No comments: