Friday, May 05, 2006

Self Worth and Food Drugs

It seems very apparent to m e that there is a trick to self worth. We use aspects or things in our lives as excuses. “Well, if I’d lose that extra ten pounds I’d feel better about myself.”

And then some of us take it one step further. If I can’t be ten pounds lighter, I am not OK, or I am not worthy of being loved. We put all energy into losing that ten pounds, but subtly sabotage it.

We punish ourselves with patterns or foods that we know will make us gain weight. Most everyone knows what to eat, how much to eat, and when to eat… but actually doing it is entirely another matter. Our minds chime in with, “oh it will be OK to have just one cookie!” But once the damage is done, it’s easier to eat two cookies, or a handful of cookies, or the whole damn box!

So what happens when and if we actually lose that ten pounds (figuratively speaking)? Is everything OK in the world again? Or do we choose something else as an excuse to punish ourselves.

I’ve been 100 lbs and I’ve been 160 lbs, and I’ve never liked my body. Others have… but I have always found the negative to outweigh the positive, and I’m a personal trainer with a degree in the health field!

Most nutritionists don’t even know what to eat, much less tell others what to eat. We live by the ideal 1% of people on the cover of magazines, while there is a nation of people so fat that they’ve given up on themselves. Over 67% of our nation is overweight! Do you know what they do?

They take pills for cholesterol. They take pills for blood pressure. They take pills to control their health, but what they don’t know is that they are consuming drugs in their foods that are sabotaging their bodies more than their minds could imagine.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugars, Partially Hydrogenated Oils, Fractionated Oils, Modified This or That… the list goes on and on. These are drugs! Yes, they taste good, but they make you act, look and feel like shit.

Just something to chew on.

More to come.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I love reading your blog - and very true on the tastes good but makes you feel like shit! But if you allow yourself a treat - what do you choose? I love chocolate and can't give it up..and I crave sweets a lot! Guess that is what keeps the extra 20 pounds on :(

Jenna said...

Thank you! Well, on your question, I have a roommate who is addicted to Ben and Jerry's and anything sugary and artificial... so when she's around--it's trouble. On my own, I'm more of a plain milk chocolate lover. I guess our answer is moderation?