Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Being Fearless in 2007

Ok, on to the conference. We had our first day with Seane Corn. She's just gotten back from India with Ashley Judd, who is the Global Ambassador for YouthAids and an actress.

She spoke for about 3 hours about India, the chakras in our own bodies, Carolynn Myss, and yoga. She has a great story, and great personality.

We went into the practice, and I don't know if I had too much PMS or if I was in a sensitive place, but I did not have a good experience. Since there were beginners in the room, she toned down the class a bit, but still made it difficult for everyone. What I didn't like was that she'd get us into asanas and seemingly leave us while she'd talk about something conceptual. After about 10 breaths, my mind tuned out and I started to get angry and feel abandoned. Maybe that's my lesson. Maybe it's time for me to start addressing anger and abandonment. It wasn't a one time thing though, it was the entire practice of these types of asanas, and the interesting part was, she wouldn't tell us how long we were planning on, so on some poses it was 5 breaths, and some 20-30 breaths. It was exhausting, and my blood sugar started to get low. Perhaps that's the emotion that needed be evoked, but I was not a happy camper, and I'd just had 10 days of perfectly taught JivaMukti classes. URGH. I don't know if her mind was caught up, or if this is how she generally teaches, but it wasn't something I'd go back to. She did talk again afterwards about chakras and other really interesing stuff. I have no doubt in her abilities, but this execution was painful and disheartening.

Ok, moving on. We saw Jane Goodall who was 100% enjoyable to watch speak. She is the one who studied with Luis Leeky in Africa and the first ever to live with Apes. She got her doctorate degree at Cambridge and went on to help apes and many other animals and humans too in her life. She started a company called Roots and Shoots, for our world's youth, read more about it!

Al Gore was terrific! He was ever so sly about addressing the country's current state, and was truely funny with his sarcasm. He is so well educated, and so very smart. He's got great insight into our globe and how to help keep this world a float. He failed to recognize how shifting to an animal free diet would better the Global Warming issue, but it's been estimated that 18% is from animal agriculture. That's more than fuel emissions from cars to my understanding. I think if he gets too far fetched he'd be rejected. Baby steps.

We saw Andrew Harvey, author of Sacred Activism, who reminded me much of the character from Back to the Future. He spoke about organized religion, about souls, about being crucified and reborn in our own lives, about archetypes, and about forgiving yourself.

We saw and heard much more. If any more comes to me I'll add it in. Oh, we saw Bobby McFerrin, who sung without any words, but rather chanted and made noises, beat on his own chest! He introduced Jane Goodall and Al Gore. He was great. He's the one who wrote 'Don't Worry, Be Happy'.

We also did a Chi Gong/Tai Chi class with Michael Craft, who was amazing.

We saw David Gershon who spoke about The Low Carbon Diet. His lecture was a little dry, and I became distracted and left. I found a company called I (heart) Yoga, started by a guy named Moses, which looks to be good stuff.

Well, thanks to Stephan Rechtschaffen and Elizabeth Lesser, founders of Omega, for another great year.

Back in California for some sunshine and quality TRI training before Hawaii! Wahooie!

No comments: