Friday, April 06, 2007

The Gloomy Side of NYC

It's Friday. My fifth day of New York. Thus far it's been interesting... interesting in the sense that it's not home. It isn't my beloved central coast with endless mountains of clean air to climb, or ocean to play in.

Everything is spacially challenged here. The pools are advertised by feet instead of yards or meters... and FYI, 75 feet means damn short. You see a lot more junk everywhere.

I think the thing most challenging about the city is the people. They are unfriendly for the most part. You don't look at people in the eyes, which for me is horrible and challenging.

The other part of it all is living in someone else's space and trying to teach him how to reprogram his routines. Every night I blow up a double decker aero-bed, which, when it doesn't deflate isn't too bad to sleep on. I haven't had sheets, which means mid way through the night I wake up cold... or thinking the world has ended due to the sounds outside. I definately am not getting quality sleep.

Ryan gets up to work and I can either get up and out, or go back to bed in his room. It's alright. Oh and my clothes are in his room so the dogs don't chew them... which means I have to plan for anything before he rises to pack adequate clothing.

I feel like I'm cooking constantly, which I enjoy, but I'm trying to make things he'll enjoy... and coming from a donut and diet coke man--let's just say his body is in shock... tastebuds and all.

These are all good lessons.

We exercised yesterday, for the first time in a while. Damn I needed it. I was getting pretty cranky. It's harder to exercise here. It's cold... the gyms are small and equipment poorly taken care of.

I think I'll venture to D.C. today or tomorrow... see how much independence I can create in Ryan's eating routines.

Don't get me wrong... I am greatly enjoying my time, it's just an adjustment. I think the reason why I thought a month would be a good idea is because Ryan said that if I was coming to at least come for that long. I'm starting to think that was mostly for his benefit.

I don't need a month here. 3 weeks will be plenty, and Christa and Mom will be here soon enough. I do miss my beloved wine country, rolling hills, and ocean breeze.

And my boys... Ray and Tay... hopefully they don't disown me.

No comments: