Monday, April 09, 2007

Surviving via Yoga

After ONE week... I start to think. I could NEVER live here. What happened to being able to walk around in nature? What happened to friendly people? What happened to all these people to make them so driven and busy? The vibration of all the energy is unreal, and in the beginning--foreign. It's starting to frustrate me that now I'm used to this!

Don't get me wrong... I've had a blast here, and there is much more fun to have, but REALLY, I'm ready for California sunshine, directly followed by Hawaii sunshine. F*ck this cold weather and dreary people.

Jivamukti has been my only saving grace. The studio is amazing. The teachers are phenomenal, and syncronized in their teachings. You can tell they've all gone through the same training. Each class has similar components and series' but is also unique to the teaching style.

Let's see... what have I observed in the quality of their teachings...

Each class starts with chanting, singing and 3 invocations of om. Some of the instructors play that accordian/piano looking thing, whose name escapes me. There is a monthly focus. This month it's trataka. It's the practice (or my interpretation of it) of looking at a flame or an object without blinking and allowing your eyes to water. Once they do, you turn your practice internal and look through your 3rd eye. Each class I've done the meditation. It's pretty cool. The link will tell you a lot more about it.

The instructors then start with Surya Namaskar A and B, or some variation of them. The sequences are like none other I've practiced. They make sense... they're fun, but challenging. There was only one pose in the last 5 days I couldn't do... it was a version of a warrior 2 I believe, where you grab your front foot and straighten that leg. It's actually the pose David Swenson is doing on the left of these links. Wow. I did get the foot a little up, but holy smokes. That could have been the hardest attempted pose I've tried. I know there is much harder out there, but geez.

They all count: inhale, exhale, one... inhale, exhale, two... etc. Very clearly, methodically. The teachers instruct like leaders. This is how you do it. Period. It reminds me of Peter or Tawny--two teachers who definately have the articulation down.

I wonder when I'll start teaching more yoga. Up until this point, it's been small groups and private sessions. I guess I'd rather have an organized training before teaching. I don't make the time as of now to learn the Sanskrit, and I don't want to teach large groups until I do. Maybe I'm just scared.

I think what it really is, is just saying it over and over again, the verbal instructions that is. Over and over. I think I'll get an audio recorder and just start practicing. That's what it takes.

Well life at home is so busy that if I just get my own practice in, I'm a happy camper. I haven't been training for Wildflower. It's less than a month away, and I haven't done anything in a week but yoga. I feel great, but race day I may be hurting.

Well, I'm off to bed. Still on west coast time. It's almost 2am here. Time for the subway to rattle my bed in the wee hours of the morning, and the police cars to flash lights and sirens to go off. Oh how I love the city.

No comments: