Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Feliz Navidad

Merry Christmas from Mexico! I found myself in the internet cafe again, trying to get a handle on the new happenings in my SLO yoga community.

Yesterday was Christmas Day, and what an amazing one it was. We started off, as many days do, with mom's scones, followed up by small gifts, jugo de mango and huevos y papas fritas. As Christa cooked, I sat blowing my nose, mom danced around singing the 12 days of Christmas (Reggae Remixed) complete with hand movements for each day... the geese a laying and maids a milking were the most entertaining. I laughed and laughed :O)

It seems we've all shifted roles in this family, with Christa being the mom, and mom being one of the kids. I've never laughed more.

We then went to a place that has dolphins in the open ocean fenced off so that they're captive... strange. We all had mixed feelings about it, but then learned that they are born in captivity and have much longer lives kept there, and there's plenty of space for them to swim freely (well almost freely).

We sat on the beach first and drank pina coladas out of coconuts... mine wasn't strong enough so I had 2, the second with extra rum... that was bliss. We then snorkeled around for a while, I prefer still swimming with my goggles, so that's what I did, but used fins to swim around like a dolphin :O)

Then we went for our dolphin adventure, where we learned a few tricks to perform with the dolphins. It was pretty cool. I still felt bad that they were captive, but they truly seemed happy and loved all the attention. Pretty unreal.

We topped off the trip with a hike through the 'ruins' which turned out to be the tourist version, and seemed to be concrete casts of things looking like ruins. Mom walked through before us and came back screaming about 4 foot iguanas. Well she has a tendency to exaggerate, so we laughed it off and continued on. Sure enough when we came to the iguana that scared her, it looked to be 2 feet or so, but then we came upon a group of people feeding a few small iguanas... and as they kept feeding, bigger ones came out of the woodworks until really a 4 foot orange scary looking thing came out. I was taking pictures with the camera on 12X zoom when it lunged at us, making me jump and scream. It looked a lot closer, but really, it was creepy.

We took a taxi back and napped on the couches in the condo. The four of us are so lucky to not only be able to vacation like this, but to truly enjoy each other the whole time. We ran together this morning around town, with mom telling the locals that we were crazy white people.

Good times from Cozumel, Mexico. A few more days and a long trek home back to reality. Sometimes I wish I could be on vacation forever.

No comments: