Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Bird Watchers

So a lot is going on... but what I am compelled to write about most is my run yesterday.

I have been pretty tired due to work at Kennedy at least once/day, watching Tristam about every other day, and working on this after school program... on top of which trying to build clients.

I decided yesterday that before I went back to Kennedy, after observing a Healthy Kids lesson, I would run. Ira stopped by for a minute which motivated me to stop half-napping on the couch and get off my bum.

I ran down to the bay, dogs on leashes... Luna and Tay together are capable of chaos off leash. We got down to the water, and I was so tired of Luna pulling that I let them off. As soon as the sand was in sight, she was gone. Tay loyally followed and they both pretended I wasn't calling them back. Funny joke guys.

So I let them run. Nobody was on the beach, and I'm sure none of the locals would have cared. I found my regular spot to stretch, breathe, zone out, and hung out there for about 10 mins.

Then, as I'm walking back to leave the beach, I decide it might be a good idea to do a headstand. A way of getting the blood back into my core. I found a nice spot to do so in the sand, threw down the leashes to prepare... but was startled by what I saw. It was a man in camoflage (did I spell that right?) with a lense that was damn near 1 1/2 feet long! What the hell!

When I saw the lense, I appologized for scaring the birds away, but he said not to worry because he'd gotten some great action shots. So I left, no headstand... frankly a bit freaked out. He was fully behind a bush. Why wouldn't he at least make himself known to me, a human being 10 feet away!?

So, for all you birders out there... don't cross over to the creepy side of the sport. Make sure that you remember the fact that you don't have feathers, you can't fly, and you don't spit up food to feed your children.

No comments: