Sunday, April 30, 2006

Yoga Kids

I don't think I've written about the Wednesday after school lesson in Atascadero, but I keep thinking about it. The lesson was on balance and flexibility, and we did a yoga activity. Erin and I started off with a demo... I told them to stay very very quiet, and I first did a backbend from standing. A few of the girls said, "I can do that!" and then we asked what was necessary for that demo?

For the next trick, I jumped up on the ball on my knees, they kept chatting a bit to eachother while they watched, but as I stepped one foot up, then the next foot up and stood up, they were dead silent. As I stood on the ball (yes, the full stability ball) they were amazed. It was the perfect intro to the lesson... and they could see how much concentration it took.

Anyway, we taught the lesson, and afterward we did a yoga activity. I had my mat in the front of the class, and all 15 students had towels facing forward. I put them through a few vinyasas just to get them warmed up. There were a few laughs from the hyperactive boys, but most everyone was intensely watching. I did a few basic poses, Padangusthasana, Utthita Trikonasana, Prasarita Padottanasana A, Virabhadrasana A & B, Dandasana, Padmasana, and ended with 3 intonations of om and a long Savasana. Afterwards, one girl sat up and said, "can we do that again?" Of course! I let them hang out in Savasana for a good 5 mins the second time until we had to get going.

We brought lemon/cucumber water for them to taste, and finished up with a post-test to see what they'd learned. Of all the lessons, this was my favorite. They were so quiet, so balanced, and all focussing on their ujjayi breathing. Good times.

This was the first time I've taught to an older group of kids. I used to teach 3-5 year olds at Avila, but they were so tiny and didn't always have the best bodily control. This age was pretty fun... we have one kindergartener, and the rest 3-6th grades. Still no adults... but I don't think I'm ready for adults, I have much to learn still.

No comments: