Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dodge Ball

A few days ago I was asked to address an issue with one of the city buildings regarding sweets in the break room. I know that this building it's particularly an issue, people bringing in cakes, donuts, candy bars, etc. on an almost daily basis. I also know that most other city operations work the same way, in fact, my department head and I are working on creating a structure of those foods we deem acceptable to host a meeting with.

So I composed an email and sent it out to all employees at that building. There have been many unhappy employees based on the number of temptations around, and many individuals participate in fitness testing or weight loss activities. Right away, the most opinionated controlling lady sent me an email back voicing 'her side' of the story, which is great. Now there's quite the stir, I'm being called the 'food Nazi' behind my back. I can't win... I don't get paid enough for this crap.

Frustrated by the stir and by my reputation being bounced around like a dodge ball, I decided to check those salary tables again, just to justify my need for a change. Yes, I make a significant amount less than all other employees, including parks maintenance, golf course supervisor, administrative assistants, etc.

I am in fact the head of the Wellness Program, and in this organization it means supporting an army, never being able to please everyone, dealing with two of the most vulnerable issues--weight and food, and not making rent.

Cheers to wellness!

No comments: