Saturday, June 21, 2008

Heat Wave

Hot summer sleepless nights. Yesterday our high temperature was 112 in San Luis Obispo. It was hotter here than in Las Vegas, the desert. Since just about everyone I know doesn't have air conditioning, including many work places, many people are miserable.

I went to the beach both yesterday and today and played in the water for a few hours. Last night, after the beach, Katie and I rolled down to concerts in the plaza, where an older gentleman gave us two fantastic chairs. Unfortunately the music was mediocre, so we moved on to dinner at Novo shortly thereafter. After a bottle of wine, spicy red curry (not so wise on a HOT day) and a ton of water, we walked home and jumped on our beach cruisers to ride off dinner.

I tried to sleep from 11:30 to 2 and finally fell asleep, only to wake up at 5:30 from the heat. The only way I was able to fall asleep was to put frozen edamame beans on me (in the package) until my body temperature was somewhat normal. Holy heat! I napped today on the wood floor with the dogs; the only coolish place around the house. I also hung the hammock today, in hopes of bearable outdoor reading temperatures. The beach today was packed, and a dalmatian dog peed on my shirt.

Hopefully tonight will be light hearted... there's been too much intensity and chaos coming out of the musician lately, and I'm having a troubling time coping with that.

No comments: